Delhi 5-Star Hotel Incident: Chinese G20 Delegates’ Luggage Drama

A dramatic 12-hour episode transpired in Delhi last Thursday when the security team at a prestigious five-star hotel, where the Chinese G20 delegation was staying, became suspicious of a delegate carrying a bag with unusual dimensions.

Adhering to diplomatic protocols, the security personnel at the Taj Palace Hotel allowed the bags to pass initially. However, things took a turn when a hotel employee, in one of the delegation’s rooms, noticed what they deemed as “suspicious equipment” inside two of the bags.

Upon informing the hotel’s security department, officials requested the delegation members to subject the bags to scanning, but they reportedly resisted this request.

Sources indicate that the Chinese delegation tried to categorize the bags as ‘diplomatic baggage,’ sparking a dispute.

This disagreement, according to sources, resulted in a prolonged standoff, which was ultimately resolved when the Chinese officials agreed to transport the bags to their embassy.

“A security team stood watch outside the hotel room for approximately 12 hours, but the Chinese officials refused to allow their bags to be inspected,” a source informed NDTV.

The source added “after an extended discussion, the Chinese delegation eventually relocated their bags to the embassy.”

The G20 summit took place in the national capital on September 9 and 10. India achieved a significant diplomatic victory as the G20 summit held under its presidency managed to secure “100% consensus” on the ‘New Delhi Declaration,’ overcoming major disagreements regarding the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

Chinese President Xi Jinping did not attend the summit, and Premier Li Qiang led the country’s delegation instead.

China expressed its continuous support for the G20’s efforts, emphasizing the importance of the group’s unity and collaboration in addressing various global economic and developmental challenges.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *